Saturday, September 14, 2013

Nearing The Halfway Point

Really can't believe it has almost been six months since I have felt the sweet US soil on my feet.  The time is flying here, except from 8am till 4:30 every Monday through Friday, that is work time and work time is terrible.  In six months I have managed to do a number of amazing things, meet some great people, and attempt to make the rest of this planet hate the US that much less.  They do by the way, they hate us real bad.  I understand where a lot of that hate comes from:



As long as you are not an arrogant A-hole, then people will usually give you a fair chance to prove their US hate wrong.  Trouble is you have to act like a beta wolf and basically submit to their ideas and belief structures in order for them to not see you as a threat and start attacking all things USA.  Its a delicate dance and I have gotten pretty good at dancing it, unlike all other real kinds of dances.  This Syria business is not helping out either, but in reality we are damned if we do damned if we don't.  I'd compare peoples feelings towards the US as bandwagon hate.  Same kinda reason Dane Cook went up in flames.  He made some bad movies and probably got a bit full of himself, but his comedy never changed and was still funny.  Then some people turned on him, and that became the norm, hating Dane was in fashion and people without a real reason to dislike the guy hated him in the same way that a person who spent $20 to go see "Good Luck Chuck" or "Employee of the Month" did.  (My Best Friends Girl, was awesome, don't care what you say, Alec Baldwin was in it.)


That is the case with the world vs the US.  I am not sure how many of you have had the chance to really travel outside the US, but when you get the chance to, you will be captivated by the disdain the world has for your home country.  I usually take it as a challenge to prove them wrong, or I just agree with them and then passive aggressively insult them until I go to far and they figure it out.

Anyway, I was not planning on writing about this at all, but I guess its something new and interesting.  Life updates, I am still in the hostel as looking for rentals is a real hassle and with work and hoops and whatever else I can find to do down here there is not that much time.  I'll either end up living here until I come home, or finally get my act together and find a rental.  Hoping for the latter, expecting the former.  Work is good, bank account is getting back in shape, as am I...slowly.  A buddy in the hostel and I are doing Shape Up September.  Rules has been tightly followed and are:
-1 drinking session a week
-No fizzy drinks at all (EASILY THE HARDEST PART FOR ME)
-Daily workouts or sporting activites
-Cut down spending by making meals
The goal is to shape up the body and the bank account.  We are thinking Out of Shape October since the O was a tough letter to do exercise related word, but I would be willing to reexamine if anyone can come up with a better word.

Good Luck to the Dawgs today.  I got up at 6am to watch the game, its on at 8:30.......awesome.  Happy Birthdays to cousin Mykel and the girl next door since I was four, Michelle Gervin.  I am sorry I was not there to celebrate with both of you.  Next time I write, since not a lot of excitement is going on, I''ll answer any questions you guys have regarding my life down here or Australia in general.  I already have some good ones from Brenden Lawrence and Lindsay Bushnell.  The more the better.  Email me at scottmorrisonhall@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment