Thursday, May 23, 2013

Filling in the gaps

The last real post I made was after an underwater adventure with Nemo in which I was able to not throw up!!  Things have happened since then and here they are.  From Cairns my ragged group of travelers first headed about 4 hours north to where Capt James Cook shipwrecked.  This was off a hot tip from a local.  Well F, that guy nc the only thing in cooktown was........?  It still has yet to be discovered.  We talked in Deliverance accents and were happen no one was, well you know.  Cooktown also notes our first night in the van and my post about my panic attack.

We got the heck out of there and stopped in the northern Australia rainforest for a couple of nights.  This is where I was able to connect with fellow American traveler Joey Lawrence.  The Brits went on a tour and I went for a jog.  Out of nowhere the muscleman that is Joe was on the side of the road and taking me on a tour of the ole swimming hole.  So after a Stand By Me walk across some train tracks. We got to the giant rope swing.  We were met by about 12,000 Mosquitos, but that was not nearly the worst of it.  I walked around the creek to get a safe passage into the water.  I picked the wrong route. I heard a rustle in the bushes and before I know it I was face to face with a man eating extra from the movie Anaconda. ( after calming down and doing some research it was actually a non venomous green treen snake that was about 3 feet long).  My girlish screams were enough to keep the snake away, but after he went into the water that made the chances of me going in 0.0%.

We left Port Douglas the next day and drove back to Cairns to restock.  I'd wouldn't say the trip up was a waste cause I got to see Joey, but it was, sorry Joe.

After the brief stay in Cairns the crew went south to Townsville.  A city with NOTHING, but military bases, a few bars and more guys if the military guys were not enough.  We stayed for four days.  Our planning thus far had not been up to par.  Rested and relaxed the next dot on the map was Airlie Beach.  From where we have just left.  Airlie Beach was an amazing time, thanks mostly to the three day boat cruise to the most beautiful place I have ever seen.  Whitsunday/white haven beach is pretty much the beach in your dreams.  The sand was so fine it squeaked as you walked through it and apparently can clean silver.  Enough about the sites, how about some boat stories??

Our group was the first to arrive at the pickup point, so we had the luck of counting the numerous groups of guys that kept joining our cruise.  8:2 guys, 13:2 guys, we ended 22:8 guys/girls ratio, but that didn't matter to me, bc I was deep into some ad Nelson and knew I could create my own fun.  "You are the craziest American...no, guy I've met so far". How I was described by my new French buddy Alex.  I guess you get me on a boat full of booze, food, sun, beaches, and about 14 Germans that I can't stand, and I go a little wild.   Activities such as trying to drown your friends snorkeling, jumping from the boat, getting the female cook so drink she passes out in your bed, causing you to sleep in the iPod room that was about 2'x4', sleeping on the top deck and waking up 5 minutes after the sun comes up. Oh and my favorite exchange of the trip

Deckhand: " you boys going snorkeling?"
Brit #1 "what are the chances we see a sea turtle?"
Me "or a shark"
Deckhand "actually the water is really murkey and you'd be lucky to see much of anything. (He was holding a boat of ten people waiting to go snorkel while we decide.
Me "hey you idiots in the boat have a great time (it was the Germans, so don't get mad, bc I was rude, they started it.

The trip has been amazing and since leaving airlie we have bombed about 12 hours down to hippie central Byron bay.  After stoping in Brisbane for a $8.50 showing of Star Trek.  F yeah!!!!

Ill write about this place and the hippies next time.

11 days left in the van. Not that I'm counting.

What's going on in your lives???


Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment