Sunday, January 26, 2014

First and Only Australia Day

This post is not going to have anything to do with Australia Day, I am just typing it that day before things start to get out of control.

I am entering my last week in the country and am about ready.  It an amazing city and I have loved pretty much the entire time I have been here, but I am ready to move on.  The exciting part will be traveling again, that and not working in an Office.  Ok, the exciting part will be first not working, and then ANYTHING else that I am doing.  A major reason why I took this mid-life (who sees me living past 60, I've put some miles on this body) crisis trip was that I could not handle the 9-5 office life anymore.  Cut to July and I have signed on to 6 months in an office.  Life lesson I guess.  Been learning a lot of those lately.

CARMAGEDON Part 3-
I almost got hit again, fell on my ass again, shattered my I-Phone 1.  People laughed and I ran away........ugh.

NFC Championship-
Since I am trying to save money for my upcoming unemployment and trip to Asia, I had to work during the NFC title game.  No big deal.  The game started at 10:30 AM my Monday, so I went in to work at 6am, took an extended 3.5 hour lunch break and saw everything from the first quarter on.  In summation everyone in the office thinks I am crazy, they all told me how stupid they think American football is, and I could not have cared less.  What a game, so good.  I will be watching the Super Bowl in Thailand, kickoff is at 6:30AM, and this time I will not miss a second.

I have been living the majority of my time in Sydney in a Hostel.  If you have never stayed in a hostel you get to sleep in bunk beds, and share a tv with 30+ people.  If you need your space it is not the place for you.  However, one bonus that comes with the hostel life is that you make some pretty great friends.  Over the past month our group of long-termers have been slowly breaking up.  Many have gone back home, or on to travel more, or even........moved out! (I moved out for 5 glorious weeks.)  I will say that without these people my trip would not have been nearly as rewarding and fun filled.  When I was moved out I watched 3 full seasons of the Simpsons, time well spent if you ask me, but not really when you have a limited time to live abroad.  I just wanted to take a section to mention you all and say thank you.


Fun news, without really changing my lifestyle at all I got on a scale for the first time this trip.  I weigh under 14 stones, or 90 kilos, so exciting.  I have not been under 14 stone since High School.  I think the key is to losing weight is, eating food when you are hungry and working out only when you feel like it.  It has been a stellar diet for me.  Oh, and being poor, that helps.

Since it is Oscar season I wanted to take some time and do reviews of the movies I have seen on this trip.  Instead I think I will just rank them and post a little comment.

#1- Have to give to Wolf of Wall Street, fun movie, kind of reminded me of my life, which shouldn't have surprised me as I was consulted for the story.
#2- Fast 6, what a great time at the theater, terrible story, terrible acting, impossible stunts, I could not have loved it more.  No jokes this might have been my favorite film of 2013.  Did not hurt that I saw it on the world's biggest Imax screen
#3- Star Trek 2, I think I have a man crush on Benedict "Sherlock" Cumberbach, I wanted him to win the whole movie.
#4- Catching Fire/Iron Man 3- very acceptable equals that you can sit back and enjoy without too much thought.  I give Catching Fire the nod because I snuck a ton of food into the theater and that makes any movie better.
#5- Captain Philips- Good movie, I am not a big fan of all the angry Somalians though.  There is a way to take over a freighter without yelling at everyone the whole time, including your fellow pirates.  The crying at the end seemed like really good acting, but also was hard to watch.
#6- American Hustle- Fun watch, bad story, and really well acted.  I am not a Jermey Renner fan at all, but who did not want him to get away with it all.  Very likable.  The girls were the really story here, that was some great acting.  Bradly Cooper was too much for me, one of my least favorite roles of his by far.
#7- Frozen- Eh, I don't why it was so big, doesn't even come close to cracking Disney's top 10.
#8- Anchorman 2- By far the worst movie I have seen in a long long long time.  Had some parts that actually made me laugh and had some parts that made me laugh because I wanted them to be funny, but they really weren't.  In all it was sad and made me dislike the first movie even.  I almost asked for my money back, well not really but walking out of the theater and going to watch anything else crossed my mind.
- Someone at the hostel downloaded Dallas Buyers Club and that movie was a really good, it would be right around Star Trek on this list.

Those are all the theater movies I have seen in the last year.  By far my lowest since the Issaquah Cinema opened in 1995?? and I saw Bad Boys.

I am going to make this one short as its time to go celebrate Australia for doing....lord knows what, but we will all be wearing our blue, green and gold.  Next post I will wrap up this whole Australia life experience, give you some crazy travel stats, and try to tell a funny story or two.  Sorry I have been so bad at posting lately, anything you want to know just ask, I have 8 hours a day at work to kill and email is much easier for me.


1 comment:

  1. Awwww Scott!!! In your next post tell us what you've missed most about the u.s., maybe it will help us appreciate it more. Like stuffed crust pizza. ~Dru Hill

    ReplyDelete