Wednesday, August 21, 2013

You know how people say contact me if you really get into trouble, well..............

Quick status update. I am at a new place, left the Strand Hotel when I came home from work on a Friday and young French couple were making out on the extra bed. Good for them, but that was it for me, and with a job, it was time to move on. I am continuing the house hunt and staying at a much better place in the mean time.

 Now, on to this weekend. As like to do every Saturday I went to the park to play hoops. Things were going as planned as my teams were winning and I never had to sit out. After about a 2 hour run my team lost and I went home, except my bag was a little light. Got home and noticed that my phone was missing. Huge bummer, but I could fill out the insurance and maybe get it back. I was mad, but not pissed....UNTIL, I remembered that I took my wallet and that was missing too.

Saturday night status:
Bank of America account- $ in it, but I can't get to it, as I have no card, and there is no BOA in Australia
Amex Card- MIA
CommonWealth Bank of Australia- Card gone, $11.50 in the account
My paid for stay ends on Sunday, I have $11.50, my room for the week is $190, and my rail pass to get to work is $52.  I still have $11.50.  I have a passport, my cell phone just ran out of credits, I have to call and cancel my cards.

Sunday status:
Cards cancelled and on their way to Mom's house in Issaquh
I managed to get the wonderful Michelle George to purchase me a train pass for the week
My boy Stuart has looked the other way on rent, as well as loaned me $20 so I can buy something to eat.  I will be eating bananas, oatmeal and water for the week.  I still have $11.50.

Monday:
Things have managed to get worse.  Costco failed to pay me to an accounting snafu.  The last two digits on my direct deposit were transposed, no big deal though, the lady in accounting can handle it.  Big deal, she is on vacation and the replacement is worthless.  I will not be getting any money this week I have been told. F word.  I have eaten two of my 5 bananas.  However, I did get picked up for a basketball league and was 7-10 from three and this is an international 3, not that easy college 3 point line!!

Tuesday:
Still no money in my account.  I use my lunch break at work to go to the bank and ask if the money was put in my account, it wasnt.  I ask how much money I have in my account now, somehow it has decreased to $10.70.  I take $10 so I can eat at the Costco food court.  I am now the proud owner of .70.  People at the hostel still offer help.  Emma Miles to give me cash for whatever I need.  Fairly certain the .70 is all I will need for rest of the week.  My Co-rec team wins again and I am nearly late for the game as I got off at the wrong bus stop and have to run about 2k in my work clothes.  Pretty sure I am getting an eye infection.

Wednesday (today)
Accounting lady is back from vacation.  I again go to the bank for my daily bank account check.  Maybe one of the most intense moments of the trip thus far, as the teller lets me know there was in FACT a deposit into my account.  3 g's and I am back in business.  I have done a poor job here of explaining how dire a situation I was in.  And just as in this blog I tried to look at the whole thing with humour.  In reality if it wasn't for the great people that I am staying with.........I honestly don't know.  I mean really, I would have had zero money, zero access to money, no cell, and just getting on the internet to beg you guys to Western Union me money would have been insanely difficult.  Thank you again, Emma, Michelle, and Stu, you guys made this nightmare just a major inconvenience.

This will just be a quick one, as I really have figured out how to post pictures and will do a full picture/recent events updates later this week or weekend.

I guess this was not a "quick" status update.

Miss you all still.

Happy birthday Dad!!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment